Thursday, June 5, 2008

Africa Day Two (church roofing)

I could not sleep last night. I woke up about 6 and ate breakfast, then we got on a bus and traveled for an 1 1/2 hours , then got out and walked an hour. We were greated by a large chanting and a stamped of people, the people charged us with tribal songs and decorations. They were so excited to see us. I have never gotten a better entrance in my life, it was truly special. The sing and chanting carried on until we got to a church, that had not had a roof in 10 years. Needless to say we sprang into action. We, mostly the actual workers with Harrison and I chiping in, built the support beams for the roof. This was one of the scariest things I have done in Africa, ever. We were on a large brick church, standing on loose bricks and a wobbly board. Harrison nailed in the beams, while I held a board for 5 min. I got down and thanked good to still be alive. While we were working on the church, most of the other people were working on the Pastors house right next door. The pastor has a 19 mile bike ride up the side of a hilly area every day just to do his work. His new house is about 20 feet away from the church, we started by getting all the bricks around the frame of the house, then my dad and the team applied the concrete to the bottom bricks. This took most of the mourning, until the people fed us. After the snack, we went and got the tin roofing from a near by house. By the end of the day the churches roof was have done, still in work. While the pastor's house had a good frame showing. The day was amazing and draining, the passion the graditude that these people show is both amazing and inspiring. I hope to one day have same amount of love for life and energy that this people display to us and a day to day basis. I am exhausted and hope to get a better sleep tonight.

3 comments:

murphy206 said...

I hope the construction skills your learning will translate into some home improvements at home! Keep up the good work and stay safe. I was happy to see those break dancing skills Kevin taught you came in handy. We're proud of you.

Bill

Unknown said...

Andy! I am so glad to hear you made it safely to Africa! I meant to call you before you left, but not surprisingly, time got away from me again!

Thank goodness for still being alive! I am sure those beams were built with a lot of love!

Have a wonderful evening! I look forward to reading more!

Jessica said...

I'm glad you arrived safely! It sounds like there was no time wasted in getting straight to work. My mom saw the pictures and got sad when she realized the kids might eat the bunnies. Lol, was that your snack?

Sleep well,
Jess