Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Monday (June 9th)

Yesterday, we traveled 6 hours to reach Toro to see Toro High School. This was a school started by Ida. While touring the school, I began to wonder if I would like to teach at this school during the summer. The girls sleep in a dorm, which is about the size of two American classrooms. They are forced to sleep there so that they will be protected at night. The classrooms had the bare essentials (some desks, a chalkboard, and some paper). Following the tour, the students acted out and sang a song for us. This is where I truly saw how talented some of these students are. I was amazed to see interested the students are in learning. The students in this school were very smart, not just for African education standards, but for American standards as well. After that we went and played the soccer game against the high school team. I thought that they would be an easy pick up game. But no, they had an referee and rules were enforced. We ended up loosing the game 2-1, and a girl took me out. This was a great day for the team. Tomorrow we drive to Kamwenge to see Bill’s family, and then drive home!

2 comments:

Ellen Murphy said...

Hey Andy,

I'm glad your enjoying yourself. We are sooooo proud of you and I'm already saving for our trip together. Can't wait to see you and your pictures.
Love,
Mom

Ellen Murphy said...

Hey Andy,

I'm glad your enjoying yourself. We are sooooo proud of you and I'm already saving for our trip together. Can't wait to see you and your pictures.
Love,
Mom